Northern Ireland Science Festival 2021
This year we are delighted to offer some NEW resources for schools and educators as part of our contribution to the Northern Ireland Science Festival 2021. Delve into the deep with our teacher resource packs, containing a suite of downloadable resources to help students investigate how our wonderful underground landscapes of caves and rivers have formed.
We have three practical science experiments and demonstrations to help both teachers and students to get hands-on experience with engaging activities, based on our favourite thing, getting crazy about caves!
Teacher Resource Packs – Our packs contain everything you’ll need for the experiments including printable instructions/methods, equipment and materials lists, lesson outline/plans, plenary ideas, video tutorials (YouTube), experiment cards, student lesson outcomes, student record sheets and some class questions. To help students along we’ve also developed a PowerPoint presentation for teachers to display which can be used as an introduction to caves, cave environments and the Marble Arch Caves. To top things off we we’ve also provided some imagery, videos, quizzes and other activities students can ‘delve’ into.
Delve Into the Deep Experiments
Fantastic Formations –This activity is designed to help students gain a greater understanding of some of the wonderful formations that grow in caves.
- Experiment 1: Fantastic Formations – Tutorial Video (Youtube) – (Click Here)
- Experiment Card – everything you’ll need to conduct your experiment – Experiment 1 – Fantastic Formation – Grow Your Own Stalactite – Experiment Card
Slippy Sinkholes – This activity is designed to help students gain a greater understanding of the local landscapes and the topographical features which tell us more about what’s happening beneath our feet.
- Experiment 2 : Slippy Sinkholes – Tutorial Video (Youtube) – (Click Here)
- Experiment Card – everything you’ll need to conduct your experiment – Experiment 2 – Slippy Sinkholes – Create a Mini Sinkhole – Experiment Card
Raging Rivers – This activity is designed to help students gain a greater understanding of rivers, how they flow, and how rivers can help form caves.
- Experiment 3 : Raging Rivers – Tutorial Video (Youtube) – (Click Here)
- Experiment Card – everything you’ll need to conduct your experiment – Experiment 3 – Raging Rivers – Make Your Own River – Experiment Card
An Introduction to Caves – A PowerPoint presentation with slides, imagery and videos to give context and to introduce students to caves, cave environments and the Marble Arch Caves – (Click Here)
Additional Resources –(Click to Access)
📸 We’d love to see your results! If you have a go yourself at school or at home make sure and take plenty of photos and videos to record your work and findings. We’d love to see how your experiments go. Feel free to send them into us or post them to our Facebook page @MarblearchCaves 📸Back to news